Monday, February 7, 2011

Sweet Success

Did you wake up this morning elated or depressed that the Green Bay Packers won Super Bowl XLV?   Maybe the best part of your Super Bowl experience was the half-time show.  I'll be honest, I nearly screamed like a little girl when Usher lowered himself onto the stage.  If Justin Bieber would have followed him I would have....  Oh wait, did I just write that?  But seriously, food is always at the heart of every Super Bowl party.  So regardless of what team won.  Hopefully you enjoyed some good food.  



For days, I racked my brain to figure out what bring with me to my first California Super Bowl Party.  I dug endlessly through my new cookbooks and magazines, but everything seemed a little pretentious.  I wanted something simple, easy to munch on, and not a cookie since someone had already planned on bringing them.  Since I had procrastinated all week and woke up the morning of the game with no new idea, I decided I would stick with a tried and true recipe...sugared pecans. 


Yes, I know this one is not new to many of you; however, I'm in the process of adjusting the website and needed to reorganize my recipes.  I figured why not kill a few birds with one stone.   I am also working on a cookie recipe, but am not ready to reveal that just yet.  I am still in the testing stages and am missing my critical taste tester.  I brought the cookies with me to the party and received some good feedback.  But I need to tweak it a bit before I can share it with you all.  

For those who have yet to make your own homemade sugar pecans, these are great for any get-together or hostess gift.   You  don't need a reason like the Super Bowl to make them.  They are perfect to munch on during a weekend game night or simply while catching up on a little tv.   


Sugared Pecans
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Ingredients:
3-3/4 cups pecan halves
1 egg white
1 tsp. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt




1.  Preheat oven to 200 degrees.  Place pecan halves in a medium sized bowl.  Whisk egg white and water in small bowl and pour over pecan halves.  Stir until all pecans are covered with egg white mixture.

2.  Combine cinnamon, sugar, and salt in large plastic container.  Add pecans, cover and shake until all pecans are covered with sugar mixture.

3.  Place sugar coated pecans in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet or SILPAT.  Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.   Total baking time may vary depending on type of oven or if you are using fresh picked pecans or store bought.   Pecans  are done when sugar mixture hardens and pecans are crunchy.*

4.  Store in an airtight container for 1 week or freeze to maintain freshness.



* I store my pecans in the freezer to prevent them from becoming rancid.  If you are using frozen pecans, you will either need to allow them to come to room temperature or you will need to bake for an extra 30 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment