Thursday, February 10, 2011

My New Uniform

This weekend I attended orientation and was giddy with excitement to finally pick up my chef uniform.   I have not been this ecstatic to wear a uniform since the day I was commissioned into the Air Force.  As soon as I got home I had to put it on and snap this little photo.  


As you can see my hat, known as a toque, is quite flat emphasizing the fact that I am a mere student.  There are several stories on how the toque blanche, which is french for "white hat",  evolved into the tall fluted hat that many recognize today. The height of the hat denotes hierarchy and supposedly there are 101 flutes on a toque blanche to represent the 101 different ways to prepare an egg.  So for the next nine months I will have no height to my toque and will try to figure out if there really are 101 different ways to prepare an egg.  I personally can only think of eight...I have a lot of learning to do!


In less than three days I will begin this journey I have been waiting nearly nine months to embark on.  I love the process of learning, but never before will I be more thrilled to learn...and then eat what I just learned.  How many people can do the same with their homework?  Now, aside from earning my diploma my other goal will be to graduate in this very uniform and not have to trade it in for bigger size.  

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your first day! We enjoyed reading your blog! Keep it up....as always, we'll be glad to help with your homework:)

    Brittany & Jaymes

    ReplyDelete