Monday, February 28, 2011

Externship Goal: France

While I was completing my undergraduate degree, I  dismissed the possibility of being able to study abroad. During those days, money was always an issue for me.  I was constantly broke and racking up the student loans.  The probability of spending a summer living in another country, learning to speak a foreign language, and traveling was more a dream than reality.  While several of my friends travelled to Spain or Italy, I spent my time soaking up the Florida sunshine.  

There were two things I had wished I would have done in my early 20s.  1.  I would have loved to live in NYC (and of course with 3 of my best friends and to wear fabulous shoes without my feet ever hurting)  and 2. study abroad.  Now, I will likely continue to live vicariously through my Sex and the City DVDs to fulfill wish #1; however, wish #2 is something that I will be working on for the next 8 months.  Part of the requirement to graduate is to complete an externship for 6 weeks.  We have the option of staying local or going anywhere we can secure an externship.  Now that I'm much more financially stable than I was 10 years ago, I'm ready to go overseas.    

When I enrolled with Le Cordon Bleu there was one person who vividly came to mind:   Julia Child.   I have always been aware of who she was and what she did, but thanks to the movie Julie & Julia,  I learned more about her story.  Although I wasn't a fan of the movie, I did feel compelled to read Julia Child's book, My Life in France.  After reading about her culinary school experience and adventures, I'm yearning to go back and experience France in a whole new way.    

Visiting a bakery in Paris, France back in 2008
Unfortunately, last week when I went to talk to the career counselor about beginning the externship process I was informed that our campus doesn't have connections in France.  I was floored.  Really, Le Cordon Bleu doesn't have connections in France?  That can't right.  Crushed by this news,  the counselor then consoled me with the following options:


1.  I can still go to France, but I'd have to work deal on my own at first.  Once I find a hotel or bakery, the school would help finalize the arrangement.

2.  Change country.  The school has an agreement with culinary schools in Spain and Italy


3.  Stay local.  The school has several connections in the local area and Napa.  However, I'm also competing with 4-5 other culinary schools in the region.  


Currently, I'm paralyzed from disappointment and fear.  How am I going to get an externship on my own in France?  To make matters worse, my French speaking is not so good.  Let's say that I'm only on Rosetta Stone level 1, unit 1.   I certainly have my work cut out for me.  However, I won't let that get me down and plan to work on the first two options.  I'll keep you all posted on my progress!  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment