Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baking Principles & Viennoiserie: Not a Gluten-free zone


Left to right:  Epi, Baguette, Fougasse, Boule.
Bottom:  Epi
I knew I loved bread before beginning my second class in the Patisserie & Baking program with Le Cordon Bleu.  However, I didn't realize that I would LOVE making it just as much, if not more than I did eating it.  

The first day of my Baking Principles & Viennoiserie class was a complete 180 degree turn from my previous course.  I said good bye to sitting in the back row and farewell to the teacher from Hades!  Despite the large class size, 30+ students, I managed to snag a front row seat so I could see and hear my new instructor much better.  

I was thrilled to hear that my Safety & Sanitation instructor would be teaching the LCBK 110 class. I love her method of organization, her demo style & most importantly I respect the way that she provides feedback when things become chaotic in the kitchen.  Instead of yelling or being negative, she chooses her words carefully, respectfully, but also with authority.  Just her saying "I'm disappointed in you," would make you feel bad.  But enough about the chef...I bet you're wondering what I have been learning.

Baguettes
One of the first things taught is that all bread contains four basic ingredients: flour, liquid (water/milk, etc), salt, & yeast.  Simple ingredients, but a tricky process.   One of the most critical aspects of good bread is ensuring proper gluten development. Gluten is responsible for structure in bread.  Since gluten is critical, I must warn you, the next several weeks will not be a gluten free zone.  

Many of you have probably seen more and more items labeled and highlighted as "gluten free".  It has become quite the craze and even news worthy.   In fact, a man was just sent to prison for lying to his customers about the authenticity of his "gluten free" products. Gluten is primarily found only in wheat flours, but is slightly present in rye & barley.  Gluten is actually made up of two proteins, glutenin and gliadin, and only formed when the flour is combined with a liquid.  To develop the proper amount of gluten, I am  practicing kneading my dough by hand.  There's no shortcut in this class...mixers are not allowed.   Although it seems like a mundane and tiresome task, I have found that kneading fresh dough is therapeutic and sometimes quite the work out.  

White pan bread: Decorative rolls
One other fun fact that I learned is to be kind to my dough when a recipe calls for "punching" it. Instead of aggressively   punching the dough to release the air, all you need to do is to place the dough onto the counter and gently flatten it so that some of the air is released.  Then you fold in each side of the dough towards the center.   Turn the dough over, cover & and let it rest.  

In addition to learning about gluten and how to properly punch dough, I have been introduced to fresh yeast.  Since this isn't readily available at local grocery stores, it will take me some time to convert the fresh yeast measurements to instant yeast and practice the recipes before I can share them.  I promise, once I figure it out I'll be sure to share some of these great recipes I've learned.  However, if your grocery store has fresh yeast, grab some and send me a note on where you found it.  If I had a choice, I would never use dry yeast again.  

Amish Pretzels
I have learned so much in this class that I can't possibly write it all down.  I can say, though, this is going to be a great time.  In a week and a half I've prepared  baguettes, epi, decorative breads, white pan bread, amish pretzels, Italian bread, milk bread, focaccia, and a sourdough starter!   AND THATS JUST THE BEGINNING...during the next month I'll be making the following breads:  whole wheat, rustic sourdough, ciabatta, challah, brioche, croissants, cinnamon rolls, danishes, bagels and chinese steam buns.   No doubt, I'll be putting some miles on my running shoes because I  plan to savor and love every. single. calorie that I consume during the next month! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful breads!!!! They look wonderful. Also love the new logo, whimsical yet elegant:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There needs to be more gluten free recipes. Thanks for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete