Thursday, March 24, 2011

Icing on the Cake

Six weeks ago I could not tell you the difference between a sponge or a chiffon method.  I had never piped frostings and I definitely was not comfortable baking under stressful conditions.  However, once I decided to tackle my initial insecurities I ended up not only improving my technical skills, expanding my recipe box, but also falling more in love with this craft.  I have had to tap into a side of my brain that has been dormant for quite some time.  Managing to  earn an A on my final practical was an incredible feeling, but the icing on the cake is that I have found my niche.   Undoubtedly, I have room to grow, but I am excited for what the future holds.   Currently, I am working on some plans to roll out the business side of Flour Bloom.  I can't wait to share what I have in the works. 

For now, several Flour Bloom fans have requested the recipe for the frostings that were used on the chiffon & black forest cake.  The following recipes are very versatile and can be flavored by adding in extracts, emulsions, or liqueur.  I couldn't think of a better way to end this term than by sharing some "icing" to go on your cakes! 


Swiss Buttercream

Swiss buttercream gets its name from the two components that help make this thick and decadent frosting:  swiss meringue & butter.  In order to create the meringue, the recipe requires that you warm the egg whites and sugar by using a double boiler or by placing a stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water.  If using the latter method, be certain that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.   This step can't be skipped and is necessary to create the proper texture and volume  for the frosting.  


8 oz        Granulated sugar
4 oz        Egg whites
14 oz      Unsalted butter, cubed & at room temperature
3/4 tsp  Vanilla extract
* flavorings to taste


1.  Create meringue by warming egg whites and sugar over a water bath or double boiler. Whisk until the mixture reaches 120 degrees F.  

2.  Once meringue mixture is warmed, transfer to a mixing bowl.  Using a whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until mixture has doubled in size and has cooled.   The mixture will become bright white.  You are ready to move to the next step when the bowl is cool to touch.   
3.  Slowly add butter into the cooled meringue.  Once butter is fully incorporated add in vanilla extract (can substitute other flavors).

4.  Whip until smooth.
Creme Chantilly

Another one of my favorite frostings is called Creme Chantilly which is just a fancy way of saying Vanilla Whipped Frosting.  This is another staple frosting that you can use with a variety of cakes.  Like the buttercream, you can change this recipe up by adding different extracts, incorporate a chocolate sauce & coffee to make a coffee flavored frosting.  The recipe produces enough to frost a cake and have extra to pipe borders and rosettes.  If you just want enough to cover the cake you will need to half the recipe. 

16 0z     Heavy whipping cream
2.5 oz    Confectioner sugar
1 tsp      Vanilla


1.  Place cold heavy whipping cream in mixing bowl.  Using a whisk attachment, beat cream on low speed. 

2.  Gradually add confectioner sugar and increase speed to medium.  Beat until cream begins to thicken, then add vanilla.  Be careful not to overwhip your cream otherwise you'll end up with butter (true story!).
 


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you feel confident and happy!

    Also that cake looks lovely! I wish I had a piece:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the positive feedback! You tell Kurtis he should be nice and share some of his care package. Or better yet, shoot me an email w/ your address and I'll see what kind of cake can fare the journey.

    ReplyDelete