Friday, December 16, 2011

Sinterklaas or Santa?

As I write this post I'm thankful that I am able to stream Christmas music from Pandora and for my Charlie Brown Christmas tree that I purchased at the supermarket today. They have both helped me get into the Christmas spirit and allowed me to enjoy some American holiday traditions that I feel I am missing out on.  Although this time of year is normally centered on Christmas, the Dutch have a completely different holiday that they celebrate. A very popular tradition in the Dutch culture is the celebration of Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet  rather than our Santa Claus and Elves. During the last 3 weeks I have constantly wondered who exactly is Sinterklaas and why are there so many similarities between him and the highly commercialized Santa Claus?  Furthermore, I have been exposed to several new and different types of holidays treats that make this season festive and couldn't wait to share it with you.  
  
Zwarte Piets during the Sint Parade
Before I share what I have learned about this tradition, I have to say that there is a little battle in the bakery between me and the Chef.  He believes that all great ideas and things come from Holland and that America stole them.  I often disagree with him and remind him that [in my opinion] some of the greatest things were born in America.  For example, an American invented the first car, experienced the first flight, and of course developed the iPhone! However, after doing some research about Sinterklaas I have learned that our jolly good St. Nick is derived from the Dutch Sinterklaas.  So I have to admit, America did steal this idea and turned it into a whole different tradition.   

Me with a handful of kruidnotens
Whether you celebrate Sinterklaas or Santa Claus both people are inspired by Saint Nicolas, the Bishop of Myra, Turkey during the 4th Century. He was known for his compassion for the poor, children and sailors.  The Bishop died on December 6 sometime between 342-345 A.D.
  
Consequently, Sinterklaas is celebrated on the 5th and 6th of December (depending on which country you reside).  For the Dutch, the festivities begin mid November when Sinterklaas arrives to Holland from Spain via a boat.  He travels with his white horse named Amerigo, and helper Zwarte Piet. Tradition has several interpretations about Piet. In English his name translates to mean Black Peter.   Historically his name does relate to his race which in modern times has caused much debate.  Interestingly, the current explanation for his name and why Piets' faces are black are because of all the soot from the chimneys they climb into.  


Sint at the Dam Square
After arriving to Holland, Sint & Piet spend the weeks leading up to December 5th traveling through the country delivering gifts to all the good children.  Each night kids place hay and a carrot (for Amerigo) in their shoes at night with hopes of finding chocolate letters or cookies left from Sint.  Then on the evening of December 5th, the children are showered with gifts that are left by Sint & Piet.  While Americans only celebrate one day of gift giving, the Dutch also celebrate Christmas.  In order to not confuse the children, Santa Claus is known as "Kertsman" or the Christmas Man. One main difference is that he's not from the North Pole, but rather Finland.    Presents are not as prevalent on the 25th, but it is common for children to receive them on both days.  


After learning the story of Sint & Piet, I was excited that I ironically visited Amsterdam with a friend on the very day that Sint arrived to Amsterdam.   Just as the story was told, Sint arrived to the Amsterdam harbor and then rode on his white horse through the city along with a parade of Zwarte Piets handing out "Kruidnotens" (mini ginger cookies).   The day was quite the event with Zwarte Piets climbing from buildings and children with painted black faces waving in excitement as the parade traveled through the streets.   


Zwarte Piet with a burlap bag of kruidenotens
Zwarte Piets scaling the buildings in Amsterdam


Letterbanket
Small chocolate letters
After partaking in the festivities, I got more into the holiday spirit and it helped me appreciate all the baked products the bakery was making.  In addition to kruidnotens,  the Dutch enjoy several other holiday treats that are only found during this time of year.   Instead of Christmas adorned cookies, divinities, and American pies I have been exposed to a whole world of different and delicious sweets.


At the bakery, our chocolatier was busy making chocolate letters for all the children to receive in their shoes the 
morning after Sinterklaas visits their homes.  Each chocolate letter was prepared in the shop and had been hand decorated by all the patissiers (to include me!).  


Along with chocolate letters, the Banket Letters are very popular.  The banket is made up of a tube of almond paste wrapped with puff pastry.  During parties, some hosts purchase several bankets to spell out words.  Typically the banket is cut into slices, but I'm sure if this tradition were in America each person would also receive their own letterbanket!


Speculaas cookies
Lastly, the speculaas cookies are one of my new favorite items of 2011!  This shortbread cookie is only served during this season and filled with an array of spices that give it its unique flavor.  From my research, the spices include ginger, white pepper, coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  The cookie us usually stamped with an image that pertains to Sinterklaas, but I've also seen some cookies with windmills or simply covered in slivered almonds.  Thankfully the grocery stores in town sell speculaas spice.  I have definitely made space in my suitcase to bring back several jars so that next year I will be able to leave a plate of these cookies for Santa!

Even though I am missing out on the traditions I love dearly, I am truly gaining a greater understanding of the Dutch culture.  Whether America stole the idea or not, or if you celebrate Santa, Sint or both, the holiday season is a time when families come together, share sweet treats, and celebrate one of the best presents of all...each other!  

I hope that each of you takes some time to do some baking with your loved ones this holiday season.  Wishing you all a Happy Sinterklaas day & Merry Christmas!
  
One of the many days we made & decorated large chocolate letters
Large chocolate letters prepared for the Sinterklaas holiday

Zwarte Piet cakes


No comments:

Post a Comment