Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What is a Tompouce Roze?

Once I was settled into my new apartment, I thought it would be a good idea to bike to Tummers to make sure I did not get lost going to work on my first day.  After 40 minutes and several wrong turns I finally arrived to the bakery.  I was certainly famished from my bike ride and knew that I had burned enough calories to enjoy a dessert guilt free!  

The display case was filled with so many different types of beautiful and tempting desserts.  There were several made of chocolate, some fruity, and many of them with names I could not pronounce.  Like a moth to a light, my eye caught the pink dessert: "Tompouce Roze" .  I did not exactly know what that was, but felt that it resembled a Napoleon.  From the color and the name I thought maybe it was rose flavored.  To my dismay, I was wrong and after my first bite I remembered that "roze" is dutch for "pink".  


I was curious as to why the Dutch called this dessert by it's name.  When I asked, no one in the bakery really could explain the history so I decided to do a little research. There wasn't much information on the internet and most of my resources came from Wikipedia, which I don't find to be the most reputable source of information.  What I have gathered is that the Dutch claim that an Amsterdam baker invented the dessert and named it after Tom Thumb.  What I do know for sure is that the Tompouce Roze is one of the popular selling desserts and because of it's popularity there are few variations.   

The dessert is composed of two mille-fueille (puff pastry) layers, zwitserse cream (swiss/pastry cream), whipped cream, and a fondant topping.  I think the dessert is actually difficult to eat and one of those desserts that would be daring to eat when you're on a first date or trying to impress dinner guests.  The dutch have a saying, "Hoe eet je een tompoes?" which means "How do you eat a tompouce?".   


Notice the difference of the pastry fork tine.
I have discovered that in the Netherlands they serve pastry forks with desserts.  The difference is the left tine is actually shaped differently to help cut through the dessert.  Unfortunately, most places carry forks for right-handed people so these forks aren't for us lefties!  I thought they were cute and might have to hunt some down.   Some people choose to use these forks, others simply separate the top layer and eat the top & bottom halves individually.  Whatever method is chosen, one thing remains the same for all who eat the Tompouce Roze...it's always served with thee (tea) or koffie (coffee).  

Of all the desserts I don't know why I chose this one.  However after learning more about the Tompouce Roze, it turned out to be a very popular and traditional dessert.   As such, it was the most fitting selection for my very first dessert in Holland. Ironically enough, the first task I was given in the bakery was to help assemble the Tompouce Roze.  I couldn't help but smile knowing that the day prior I had sat and enjoyed this very dessert and now I was getting to make it for someone else to enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment